Shop My Look:
Shoes: Barefoot Tess
Now let me tell you all about my DIY zebra print maxi dress! I’ve wanted a maxi dress of this style for quite some time. I’ve always seen them sold and worn beautifully by others, but never have I found one that was long enough on me to graze the floor. So I knew once I started sewing that I would eventually attempt to make one of my own. But I was intimidated and kept putting it off, thinking it would be too hard to do. Boy was I wrong. Ladies this was one of the easiest pieces I have made thus far and I am so mad at myself for not trying it earlier. I love this dress and how it turned out!
I’ve had this fabric for over a year now just sitting in my stash. When I purchased it I knew it would be made into a maxi dress, just wasn’t sure what style or when. It is a gorgeous rayon that drapes and moves and flows. It’s is light weight and easy breezy, so perfect for the warm temperatures. I was drawn to the bold print and the ivory, black and tan tones. As I was looking through my maxi dress patterns I came across McCall’s 6744 and knew this is what I had been saving this fabric for.
I decided to have an Angelina Jolie moment so I could show you all this dramatic slit which only opens this far when you force it too as I am doing here and showing off my big ol’ gam…..lol But when I walk it is a more subtle opening as seen in the very first picture.
That pattern I used to make this beauty was McCall’s 6744. It’s states easy right on the from and It really is. I would definitely recommend this pattern to beginner sewers and I will definitely be making a couple more of these dresses! The pattern calls for 2 1/2 yards of 60″ fabric because of my needed extra length I used 3 yards of fabric. I added 2 inches to the bodice and just about 5″ to the skirt piece. I purchased this fabric from my local Fabric-Mart and it was only like $5.99 a yard. So yes this dress was less than $20. I’m telling you ladies if you haven’t already started, you may want to start sewing…lol